Saturday, April 11, 2009

Standardized Tests

I just finished watching the video "Not on the Test" and I completely agree with it, the video is kind of a joke but the issue really isn't funny. There are many teachable moments that have to be passed by at times because teachers need to get certain things done. I realize that testing is important, but the children really do miss out on lots of other important things because of it. I've definitely had times in a classroom when a classmate would ask a question unrelated to what the class was studying for a standardized test and the teacher would say we'd go back and answer at the end but we never got around to it.

I think standardized testing is really unfair because students don't all learn at the same pace, so some students don't learn all of the information and the students who do, don't always get the opportunity to go on and learn more because they are waiting for the rest of the class.

Students need to learn things that will help them in the future and in life and I don't believe standardized testing assists children with their futures. It puts too much pressure on the school, the teachers, and the students.

1 comment:

  1. "I think standardized testing is really unfair because students don't all learn at the same pace, so some students don't learn all of the information and the students who do, don't always get the opportunity to go on and learn more because they are waiting for the rest of the class."

    I agree with you on this and I also agree standardized testing makes students miss out on a lot.

    ReplyDelete